PhD Project Title: C-H functionalization reactions with alkenes as directing groups
Principal Investigator: Prof. Dr. Cristina Nevado
PhD Project description: the objectives of this project is the direct conversion of olefin containing feedstock into high value-added building blocks.
In this project we aim to:
1) develop earth-abundant metal catalyzed protocols for the functionalization of olefins
2) design ligand templates that enable the migration of the C(sp3)-M bond across the aliphatic systems in a stereocontrolled manner
3) Investigate the functionalization of in situ produced remote organo-radical/metal intermediates towards C-C and C-X (X = O, N, Halogen) bond forming reactions
4) The newly developed reactions will be used to prepare building blocks of value for the industrial partners.
Relevant skills that will be considered are:
- Strong theoretical background and practical skills in organic synthesis and catalysis
- Practical experience in analytical methods (NMR, MS, HPLC)
- Good level of English proficiency (understood, spoken and written)
- Skills in scientific writing (reports, papers, etc.)
- Team spirit and collaborative predisposition
ESR4 will be seconded to Syngenta (M18-M20) and Astrazeneca (M30-M32).